PROGRAM MONITORING & REVIEW
IPO enlists academic and industry advisory committees, from both local and overseas, to provide independent expert advice on interdisciplinary curriculum, research strategic directions and overall objectives. The following list shows the advisory board / committees established in IPO:
- IPO Advisory Board
- ENVR Local Advisory Committee
- ENVR Overseas Advisory Committee
- T&M-DDP Advisory Board
IPO’s UG Majors were reviewed as part of the overall four-year degree review exercise in 2016-17. Individual programs of IPO conducts program-level reviews regularly, with reference to the core principles agreed by CTLQ (see Paragraph 'Core Principles for Arranging External Review' below). The EVMT program is regularly reviewed for accreditation by HKIQEP.
IPO’s TPg Programs EVSM and MPP were reviewed in 2016 and 2018 tentatively. The Senate policy, guidance for program directors and document templates for TPg Program Review can be found from http://qa.ust.hk/monitoring.html.
The following core principles were agreed by CTLQ in assessing arrangements for program reviews.
- Production of a self-evaluation document based on an internal review by those responsible for the educational provision under review, in consultation with the faculty / course instructors
- Review of the self-evaluation and other relevant documentation by an external review panel
- A visit to the University by the external review panel, to meet staff and students, and to observe facilities and learning resources
- Production of a report with input from the external panel, including confirmation that the curriculum and academic standards meet international benchmarks, and recommendations for enhancement with an action plan
- A clear process for overseeing the implementation of action plans
The University has recently updated the TPg review guidelines, which also provide a good reference for arranging external review for UG programs. Programs are advised to make reference to it when organizing external program review.
- Program Review Guideline (visit program and documentation)
- Program Review Policy approved by Senate
- Sample of external advisors’ report form (restricted)
- Sample of self-evaluation documentation template
Under the Quality Assurance Framework, Assuring Quality & Academic Standards at HKUST, School Deans and the Directors / Heads of the IPO, UCE, Center for Education Innovation, Library and Student Affairs Office submit annual reports on their educational provision and support of teaching and learning to the Senate Committee on Teaching and Learning Quality (CTLQ). Reports, which are based on designated report templates, should be accompanied by Action Plans that identify targets, milestones, timelines and responsibilities and would allow the monitoring of implementation of future actions identified in annual reports. School / IPO Reports are based on those prepared by Departments / Divisions and on their own activities. For details, please click here.
At university-level, the CTLQ has been mandated to provide oversight of the external review of taught programs, including professional accreditation, and monitoring the implementation of review outcomes. CTLQ makes reference to the agreed core principles in assessing arrangements for program reviews (see Paragraph 'Core Principles for Arranging External Review' above). For the Terms of Reference and Membership of CTLQ, please click here.
The Hong Kong University Grants Committee (UGC) set up a new body in April 2007, the Quality Assurance Council (QAC), under its aegis to assist it in discharging its quality assurance responsibilities. One of the core tasks of the QAC is to conduct institutional quality audits of teaching and learning. HKUST's first audit took place in 2010. The QAC's second audit of HKUST will take place in 2015. For details, please click here.